Waka Open Day and Pacific Voyaging Education
|Date:||Saturday October 19, 2019|
|Address:||The Esplanade Whitianga, Whitianga|
Explore the waka hourua Haunui and Ngahiraka Mai Tawhiti and Tahitian va’a tipaerua Fa’afaite, and learn from the crew about voyaging during talks and activities.
– The Esplanade
– Free event
– Brought to you by Manatū Taonga Ministry for Culture and Heritage, Te Toki Voyaging Trust, Tahiti Voyaging Society and Te Kura Waka.
This event is part of the Tuia 250 Encounters programme.
– Pop-up planetarium focusing on celestial navigation
Vessels Open to the Public
– Ngahiraka Mai Tawhiti (waka haurua)
– Haunui (waka haurua)
– Fa’afaite i te Ao Ma’ohi (Tahitian va’a)
Youth Voyaging Presentation
– Speaker presentations about the Spirit of New Zealand youth programmes
Fa’afaite Presentation and Education Workshops
– Talks about migration and te rāhui
– Various workshops around sailing, constellations and the va’a moana
– Sail and Rope handling workshops: Learning about the waka sails on board the vessel and Learning rope uses and techniques on board the waka
– Kapehu Whetu: Learn to build a traditional star compass
– Educational sessions hosted by the HMB Endeavour crew
R. Tucker Thompson
– Display of story boards about the R. Tucker Thompson
– Wānanga and educational programme about sustainable oceans